News

House fire in Narrabri West

Firies issue warning after first heating-related fire of the year

Narrabri Fire and Rescue at the scene on Wednesday.

The cooler weather might have only just begun, but already Narrabri has its first winter-related house fire of the year.

And firefighters have issued a couple of timely reminders after attending the Deran Street property yesterday afternoon that could have turned out a lot worse.

The fire caused substantial internal damage to the property, and one of the residents had to be treated by paramedics at the scene.

Narrabri Fire and Rescue Station Commander Shane Bradford said it was believed the fire was started from a wood burner at the property.

The burner was lit in the morning before the occupants, a family, left for the day.

While the cause is still being investigated, it is believed that a spark jumped into the woodpile next to the burner and smouldered away for several hours.