Sport

Narrabri Eagles aim to get off the ground

Local Australian Rules team keen to field a side in 2018

Hitting the ground running: Narrabri Eagles president Ben Maddern, front, with players Dan Nixon, Luke McDermott, Tom Carberry, Jesse Bennett, Zac Lauritsen, Ray Nixon and Todd Jones at a pre-season training session late last year.

As The Courier reported on Tuesday, April 4 last year, the Narrabri Eagles’ 2017 AFLNW season started off with so much promise.

Following a positive preseason which had attracted a modest player roster, the Eagles thrashed Tamworth Swans 19.13 (127) to 6.5 (41) on Saturday, April 1, in round one of the competition.

The team would play just two more games (both of which were losses) before forfeiting the remainder of the season.

Players and club officials were left heartbroken, but it was the best possible action that could have been taken at the time.

The side lost a number of players early in the season to injury, and after just three rounds it had become almost impossible for the Eagles to field a team.

As the year progressed several key figures in the club expressed concern about the Eagles’ future.

But that concern has since evaporated.

On Tuesday, December 19, club president Ben Maddern and 15 keen players expressed their eagerness to return to the competition in 2018, at the team’s first pre-season training session.

Maddern, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury in the first game of the 2017 season, said that he and his club wanted to play in the AFLNW season this year.

“We are currently in the recruiting phase, and numbers are looking good this year,” Maddern said.